I just thought I’d write a review on a product that I bought for Chirstmas.
The LG DVD/HDD Recorder RH7624W
This is obviously not the BEST product on the market, but value for money, I would totally recommend it. Some of the features of this player are:
- 250GB HDD
- DVD R/W
- CD R/W
- dts Digital Out
- Dolby Digital
- MP3, WMA and DivX
- TimeShift – Pausing and watching “live” TV
In my opinion, here are the Pros and Cons of this DVD Recorder:
- Cheap in comparison to almost any other DVD/HDD Recorder
- Has a LOT of space on the HDD for recording TV
- Can make copies of DVDs (Dubbing)
- The TimeShift is a really cool feature, where you can pause the TV, and carry on watching when you’re ready.
- Recording quality is pretty good
- The menu navigation is pretty intuitive
- If the power trips, you can lose all settings such as the time and automatic timer recordings.
- Starting the TimeShift recording functionality takes about 30 seconds. Enough time for your phone caller to hang up
- Can only rename recordings after they’re finished recording
So, there aren’t really any cons, except to say that these 2 are enough to turn some people away. If I were to give LG some tips, I’d tell them to make the following changes:
- Write settings to the HDD when shutting down. At least this way, if the power trips, you only have to set the time, and all your other settings should work as before
- When setting a Timer Recording, have the ability to name it. That way, you can find all the episodes of “CSI” without having to watch a few minutes of all 45 of your recordings
Would I recommend the LG DVD/HDD Recorder? Definitely, if it’s in your price range. If you can afford to pay 50% more, than do so on another product. I am happy with it, so I reckon most other people would be (if you can forgive the above “CONS”).
But I would definitely recommend shopping around for specials. I found a special online, and it’s a good thing, because the price varied by 10% between stores…