I’ve never noticed so many weeds in my lawn before!
I hope it’s not just my garden that’s affected, but it’s a REAL pain. Especially if you don’t have a gardener to do all the de-weeding for you.
So I went to the shops to try and find a weed killer that I can use in my lawn, that doesn’t kill the grass as well.
I found Efekto “No Weed Lawn” at the Hyperama, and it works like a charm!
It does make the grass go brown for a while, but it doesn’t kill it, and the grass will grow green again after a few days.
Here’s what it says on the back of the bottle:
– Handle with care
– Poisonous when absorbed through the skin or swallowed or inhaled. Toxic to bees, fish and wildlife.
– Store in a cool place
– Store away from food, feed, seed, other agricultural chemicals and out of reach of children
– Do not inhale spray mist
– Wash contaminated clothing daily
– Wash with sooap and water immediately after accidental skin contact
– Do not eat, drink or smoke whilst applying or before washing hand and face and change of clothing
– Avoid spraydrift onto susceptible broad-leaved plants such as grazing, rivers, dams and other areas not under treatment
– Do not spray where roots of desirable plants can absorb the chemical or in locations where the chemical may be washed or moved into contact with their roots
– The chemical is carried downwards into the soil by water and should not be used therefore, near shrubs, trees or flowering plants
– To avoid injury to desirable plants, spray equipment used for application should not be re-used to apply other materials to such
– Dispose of wash water where it will not contaminate crops, grazing, rivers and dams
– Destroy empty container and never use for any other purpose
– Prevent contamination of food, feed, drinking water and eating utensils
Directions for use
Apply after emergence of broadleaf weeds
Can be used on established lawns and turf consisting of the following grass cultivars: Bradley, Elliot, Germiston, Hall’s Selection, Harrismith, Magennis, Outeniqua, Reitz, Cape Royal, Schaapplaas, Tifton en Zwartkop blou, Kikoejoe, St. Augustine, Swazi en Zoysia
EFEKTO NO WEED LAWN ready-to-use may cause a discolouration of the grass. This will however, be of a temporary nature. Active growing Kikuyu-grass will be affected more severely and may require a longer period to recover.
The application of a nitrogenous fertilizer 2-3 weeks prior to treating with the herbicide is recommended
EFEKTO NO WEED LAWN ready-to-use is applied as a fine spray. Wet total leaf surface of broadleaf weeds well. Repeat after 2 to 4 weeks if necessary.
I always spray the weed killer while wearing gloves, and after reading the above, I’m pretty glad I do.
I’m not sure if this specific weed-killer is only available in South Africa, so if you use something else that you would like to recommend, it might really help the other readers, so please leave a comment below.